Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Nice, Côte d'Azur, France

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano forced a cancellation on my conference in Nice, yet I had to get to Nice to catch my TGV train to Paris, so I had a few hours layover. Nice was still in a winter European weather pattern in late April, drizzly and then some, but as I beelined for the Promenade des Anglais, I could not imagine a more "azure"-colored Mediterranean Sea, grey sky notwithstanding. Heading north I pass through the Jardin d"Alsace Lorraine, with lovely views of art deco buildings surrounding.

Near the return to the train station is the onion-domed St. Nicholas Russian Cathedral, the largest one outside of Russia, built in 1912, due to the generous gift of Tsar Nicholas II. Interestingly, there is currently a dispute over ownership of the property, the current occupants claiming it as an inherited gift from tsarist Russia, yet the Russian government has dispatched attorneys to make a case to France that the Russian church has rights of ownership.





















No comments:

Post a Comment